Saturday, December 13, 2008

Legal Again (Barely)

The gig is up. I am once again a law-abiding citizen.

The pressure was just getting to be too much for me. Every time I got behind the wheel all I could hear was Axl Rose singing Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Well, sometimes it was Bob Dylan. Either way, I knew my time was short. It was a good ride, though. Almost 3 months of living on the lam with an expired inspection sticker. But all that running has taken its toll. I am a changed girl. Innocence lost. You can't be outside the law for that amount of time without it affecting you in some way. I'm not sure how I'm affected. I'll have to have some time to think about that. But I'm sure I'm somehow hardened, immune to the softer things in life, more jaded in ways I didn't know existed. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before this new lawless monster lurking inside me creeps forth to do some dastardly deed.



But in the meantime, I have to make a zillion Snickerdoodles for a cookie exchange.


Snickerdoodles.


Snickerdoodles are pretty much my favorite Christmas cookie. I don't know why. They are simple. My kids don't really like them all that much. Aha! That must be it.



I'm done with cute and catchy blog titles. I made it through Typical (or Titillating) Tuesday, Less Wordy Wednesday, and Thrilling Thursday. Yesterday was spent getting my house ready for my yearly turn at hosting my bunco group. I hadn't cleaned since Thanksgiving so it was a godless mess. Therefore I couldn't think of anything even close to nice that began with "F" for Friday. So I skipped it, altogether.

I did not do a particularly fabulous job hosting bunco, which I called BuncHO HO HO because I am cute with words that way. We did our yearly ornament exchange in addition to consuming margaritas and my favorite wine of all time, Casal Garcia's Vinho Verde. I used to waste a lot of time mixing my own margaritas at social events, as I am particular about my margaritas. I am a tequila girl. I can't stand margarita mixes that are too sour and cause all the glands just below my jaw line to explode in protest. I am usually completely unaware of these glands and I prefer to keep it that way. I actually prefer my margaritas very plain and shaken (not frozen - I HATE them frozen). But I have found a pretty good pre-mixed margarita, Salvador's Premium Margarita (alcohol content 15% so this is the real deal). I'm sure it doesn't have Patron in it, but hey, how much do you really want to spend for a bottle of pre-mix?



For dinner I served up tamales, a Tex-Mex Christmas favorite. For sides, Jeff made (before he escaped with all the kids) a mango pico de gallo and a rice and black bean salad with apricot dressing. I also set out some refried beans, and I have a favorite brand of those, too. Do not EVER come near me with a CAN of refried beans. Homemade are best, but if you haven't got the time or inclination, a bag of Santa Fe Bean Company's dehydrated beans are pretty darn close. I prefer the black beans, simply because they have more nutritional value. I lined the bowl with tortilla chips, put a little dollop of sour cream, sliced avocados, and some shredded cheese on top, and bingo - it was done.

I intended to make a creamy cilantro sauce for the tortilla chips but just plain ran out of time because I'd spent part of the day when I should have been cooking holed up in my meditation nook with my latest Anita Blake (Vampire Executioner) book. That means I also didn't make my Orlando Bloom bunco cards. I like to put Orlando Bloom on my bunco cards because he is adorable and I just adore him because he is so adorably adorable. And young enough to my son (or son-O as I like to say on the bunco cards). I prefer him as an elf or a pirate but I was going to find a pic of him in a Santa hat or something adorable like that for his adorableness to shine through in a Christmas-y way. But I ran out of time due to the stupid vampire books I am apparently addicted to. Dang. Stupid vampires.

When I was managing to clean and cook I did it like Anita Blake (vampire executioner) with Jasper's confiscated plastic sword stuck in the back of my tee shirt. I occasionally whipped it out from behind my back (just like Anita) to stun the children into submission. This was mostly ineffective. They were stunned; no submission, though. It was highly entertaining and made me feel rather powerful and I think that I might wear a plastic sword more often. I didn't understand the appeal until now. I kinda "get" Jasper now. Plastic sword. Cool. I might try a light saber next but the sword just feels so right in my hand...but never say never, right?



Well, I really am off to bake Snickerdoodles now. Possibly armed with a sword. Yeah...that is sounding pretty good.



I will soon be a contributing blogger for http://www.mysanantonio.com/. My page isn't up and running, yet. I'll let you know when it is and you can visit me there, too. I'm not sure what I'll be like there. Alter ego, maybe? Hmmm...we'll have to wait and see. I've been doing so many dangerous things, lately.


Love a Very Heavily Armed Sardine Mama

2 comments:

  1. I think you should have written a F*!#$&^ Friday post. It would have been most entertaining :)
    Your bunco dinner sounded lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you share your recipes with me? My family loves to eat mexicanish food, and the stuff you get in Upstate New York? It's akin to eating wings outside of Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete